donderdag 2 september 2010

Where are the ''good'' birds?

Tuesday, the 31st, I was off early so I planned to visit the Hoog Buurlosche heide and the Kootwijkerzand, to search for perhaps a Wryneck, Tawny Pipit or Dotterel. In the previous years (not yet this year) these rarities are sporadically seen here. Last year I had a Wryneck on the 31st of August so I figured that maybe this time I would be lucky as well! Furthermore, Dotterels have occasionally visited our county, on the Kootwijkerzand. The kootwijkerzand consits of huge plains of sand combined with grassy vegetation. When you see the kootwijkerzand you get a déja vu of the plains in Spain, it is almost like a desert, only then situated in the Netherlands! I have seen Dotterels twice there. The first time was on the second of September 2007, my father found a nice first winter bird there. It was not shy at all! I could almost touch it!
See a pic below:

I also had seen 5 adult (2 male, 3 female) Dotterels on the 18th of May 2008 on the Kootwijkerzand, another stunning experience! This was the last time I saw Dotterels in our county. Tawny Pipits are also seen annually on the Kootwijkerzand, I haven't seen one yet there however.
So with this in the back of my mind I went there and had a thorough search for Tawny pipit or Dotterel (and Wryneck). Though I failed to find these specialties unfortunatlely but I had some nice Wheatears, Whinchat, Redstarts, groups of pipits (tree, meadow) and larks (sky, wood), Hobby, but the birds I was looking for were absent!

Hopefully next time I will have more luck!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten