zaterdag 26 januari 2013

Apples with snow, guaranteed succes

There's been snow for here the past 2/3 weeks and that means that lots of birds look for food in the cities. It's the ultimate time to have, amongst others, Fieldfares in your garden. Just put some apples out and you'll attract them soon. Every winter (when there's snow) we have a couple of Fieldfares in the garden, eating off the apples. There we some apples out in the garden but no Fieldfare showed up this week. This morning I put up the net but it was too windy and there were very few birds around. Then around 10 when I had to go to the city I was standing in the garden and suddenly three Fieldfares dropped, looking very hungry. They were really tame and were feeding only a few metres away from me. I had to go but when I would come back I would try to trap one! I put my cage out and put the apples in it. It took some time but eventually the Fieldfare found its way into the trap. Gotcha! My first Fieldfare I ring in the garden. The rest of the day I let them feed on the apples, since they're hungry! This one was a 2cy male, the other ones are an adult female and an adult male.

Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris), 2cy male

Other than that I haven't been doing to much bird watching. Last Sunday I went to visit the IJssel with my dad. It was pretty nice. 16 Whooper Swans, 2 Bewick's Swan, a Green Sandpiper and some other stuff. Here are some pic's.

 Green Sandpiper (Tringa ochropus)
Whooper Swans (Cygnus cygnus), IJssel near Deventer and Albaplas near Klarenbeek

Bewick's Swans (Cygnus bewickii), from two weeks ago near Deventer.


 A pair of Red-breasted Mergansers (Mergus serrator), has been present for almost two weeks now on the IJssel near Deventer. A very good county record!

The two images above were both taken by my dad, Tammo meijer.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten