maandag 29 april 2013

Richard's Pipit behind the uni!

Thursday evening -after a long day studying for my upcoming math exam- I was relaxing in our garden, eating pizza and drinking a beer. The weather was great, a decent 18+ degrees Celsius. Then as I was enjoying my beer I got a message that a Richard's Pipit had been found in some fields behind the university buildings. That's only a 10min ride with the bike! I emptied my bottle of beer, grabbed my bins and camera and took off with my bike. When I arrived there, about 6 birders were already present. The pipit was foraging in a strip of grass that was not mowed next to mowed grasslands. Immediatly after my arrival I could look through a telescope and had great views of the bird. Only my second one I see on the ground! With a couple of other birders we tried to take some pics, but the bird wasn't really cooperative. I only got a flight shot. It's bad, but at least you can see the 'jizz' of the bird.
Richard's Pipit (Anthus richardi), convincing right!

Then the next morning, before I went studying at uni I dropped by the Richard's pipit again. The bird was still present and showing well. It was quite cooperative, but also quite mobile. I heard calling a few times, the clear sparrow like 'tschup' call. I was just in time because not long after I'd seen the bird it started raining.

Recordshots:

And a compilation:




The day before, wednesday evening, the 24th, I did a short round in the evening. It was pretty succesful! I was just walking in the Bovenpolder near Wageningen when a female Merlin sheared by at high speed and attacked some swallows - it failed. Furhtermore I had a male Garganey, singing Bluethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroats, Grashopper Warbler, aCuckoo and three migrating Whimbrels. Pretty nice.

 Great-crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus)
 Whimbrels and Curlews (Numenius phaeopus),
Garganey (Anas querquedula), male

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten