zondag 28 maart 2010

Hoog Buurlosche heide

The last two weeks a lot of our breeding birds have arrived again which makes you aware that spring has started! On my birthday, the 18th of march I had my first singing Chiffchaff of the year near my school. The IJssel was interesting last weekend as well with 7 Dunlins, 14 Ruffs, 1 Great Scaup, 2 Ringed Plovers, 2-4 Garganeys and a Marsh Harrier.
Today we went to the Hoog Buurlosche heide. It was a lovely morning but unfortunatly there still was a strong wind which mend  there would not be a lot of migration. I expected the first Willow warbler and Tree pipits, and indeed we had two of both singing on the Braamberg, very nice! Followed by lots of singing woodlarks and skylarks. In the forests we had 8 singing Crested Tits, circa 5 singing Coal tits and Marsh tits were numerous as well. We had 3 species of woodpeckers, Great Spotted, 2 Green and 1 calling Black woodpecker.
On the heathland we also had a Great Grey Shrike and an early Ring Ouzel! While I was checking a group of starlings with a Mistle Thrush amongst the group when I saw a black bird with silver wings dropping down in a small oak next to the path, I thought....... hmmm could be a ring ouzel, and indeed when the bird flew off it showed its ''silver'' wings, the white band near its throat. It was a male.
On our way back to home we stopped at a spot with Black woodpeckers present as well.
Some Black Woodpecker shots of Tammo Meijer:

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten