woensdag 31 augustus 2011

Last day of August

Today, the 31st of August, was my second day of banding at Powdermill! I woke up at 5.00 and got out of bed around 5.15. I had a shower and had some breakfast and around 6.00 I went in the direction of the banding station, a few hundred metres away from my cabin. While I was standing outside near the banding lab I saw a probable Least Bittern taking off from one of the ponds around 6.10. At 6.10 we started to open the nets and around 6.50 we did a first round. The first round was a good round with quite a few new birds, less recaps than yesterday. Every round we had quite some new birds. Just outside the lab I saw this cute little Chipmunk:

 Still at 11.30 we had a round of about 10 new ones. The morning wasn't cold at all, due to some cloud cover. This also meant that everything got warmed up fairly quickly. It was a bit humid outside, with a temperature of about 28 degrees celsius ( I'm not into Fahrenheit yet!) We ended the day with 122 individuals, of which 94 were new. The best birds today were 2 Blackburnian Warblers and a Yellow-billed Cuckoo!

The totals:

Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1 -
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 12 -
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 1 -
Acadian Flycatcher 1 -
Least Flycatcher 3 -
Red-eyed Vireo 11 -
Gray Catbird 4 -
Chestnut-sided Warbler 4 -
Magnolia Warbler 2 -
Black-throated Blue Warbler 2 -
Black-throated Green Warbler 3 -
Blackburnian Warbler 2 -
American Redstart 7 -
Ovenbird 9 -
Common Yellowthroat 11 -
Hooded Warbler 10 -
Wilson's Warbler 2 -
Canada Warbler 1 -
Scarlet Tanager 2 -
Song Sparrow 4 -
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 2 -
Total 94, 21 species

Drew processing a Carolina Wren (Recap)
Mary on the left (Assistant at the station) and Helena and Lauren on the right (correct me if I have their names wrong haha)

The birds from today:
Ruby-throated Hummingbird, after-hatching year male; little stunners!
Chestnut-sided Warbler, hatching-year male
Blackburnian Warblers, both hatching-year, female (up) male (down)
Hooded Warbler, hatching-year male
Wilson's Warbler, male
Scarlet Tanager, hatching-year male
Carolina Wren, after hatching-year
And last but not least this great Yellow-billed Cuckoo, hatching-year!

In the afternoon me and Drew did some tightening of the net lanes but it was quite warm outside in the sun. I am now waiting for the Pileated Woodpecker to show up, maybe I can make some good photographs of the largest woodpecker of Northern America (unless the Ivory-billed isn't extinct!). 

See ya tomorrow!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten