woensdag 2 november 2011

I guess I'm not back yet

I thought that yesterday would be my last day here in the US. But I was proved wrong! Yesterday, me, Brandon, Mary, Amy and Heather went to Pittsburgh, to the Science Center, one of the four Carnegie Museums/ After our visit here we would eat at Chipotle and then they would drop me off at the airport.
The A-team van of Mary. Now listen to this: The A-team theme song!

The Science Center was good fun. We explored some cool stuff and went in a Submarine for example! After that we ate at Chipotle and then went to the airport.
YumYum at Chipotle!

I was already checked-in online and only had to check-in my suitcase. I said everybody goodbye and went through security. Then, later, as I was waiting to board Flight 1893 to Philadelphia of 5.45 pm. me, and all the other passengers suddenly heard around 5.30 that the flight had been delayed. And then, a few minutes later we heard it was canceled!! Whaaaaat???????? The agents of US Airways said that the airplane had 'mechanical problems' and was not able to fly Philadelphia. Well, thanks US Airways, this will be the last time I'll fly with you! I had to call someone from US Airways to see when my next flight back would go. I rescheduled my flight for coming Thursday, at 3.05 pm. On the one hand I was a bit mad because I was convinced that I would be home today. On the other hand I didn't really mind as I had a couple of extra days here! I called Mary and told her the bad news. Mary etc. were still stuck in traffic so they could come and pick me up again. So there I was, back at Powdermill. We didn't tell Drew yet yesterday, you should've seen the look on his face this morning when I reappeared!

Anyway, I still would like to share some pics from Owl banding Sunday night. Next to a young bird, we also caught an adult (a second-year).
Northern Saw-Whet Owl, second-year. On the wing you can see two generations of feathers, making this bird a second year. The bird showed an odd moult pattern however, normally the most outer primaries and inner secondaries are replaced, instead of what you see on the above photo.
Note the hind of yellow on the old primaries/secondaries and the hint of pink on the new primaries/secondaries. Pretty weird!
 Posing in my hand
Posing on my head!
Posing after release

So today we were banding again. It was a sunny morning with a bit of frost on the nets in the morning. The nets were visible so the numbers dropped after the sun came through.

Northern Flicker 1 -
White-breasteds Nuthatch 1 -
Winter Wren 3 -
Golden-crowned Kinglet 2 -
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2 -
Hermit Thrush 2 -
Cedar Waxwing 12 -
Yellow-rumped Warbler 4 -
Song Sparrow 6 -
Swamp Sparrow 5 -
White-throated Sparrow 10 -
Dark-eyed Junco 5 -
Northern Cardinal 1 -
Purple Finch 2 -
American Goldfinch 19 -
House Sparrow 1 -

Totals 76, 16 species

There were a lot of Waxwings around. They weren't shy as you can see above. This one dropped his berry, which was actually too big for him!
Purple Finch, after-hatching year male
Hatching-year Titmouse on the left. After hatching-year Titmouse on the right. Note the difference in primary coverts (just as with our Blue/Great Tits.
Ahwww, this Ruby-crowned Kinglet just got weighed in the cone!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten