maandag 31 oktober 2011

Powdermill, I'm going to miss you!

And there it was already.. my last day at Powdermill! These two months went by so fast, too fast..! I've enjoyed being here so much with all the kind people around me, but of course also all the wonderful North-American birds. I'm going to miss all of the Powdermill banding crew!
So today was my last banding day. Despite the frozen nets (again) we caught a lot of birds, about 165, of which 124 were new, spread over 17 species. I didn't get any new ones for me in the hand anymore, although we almost caught a group of 10 Bluebirds. But no, these birds were too smart for us and sat on the netpoles and lines! It was a goldfinch day with 66 Goldfinches banded.

Tufted Titmouse 1 -
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1 -
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4 -
Yellow-rumped Warbler 7 -
Eastern Towhee 1 -
Chipping Sparrow 1 -
Field Sparrow 4 -
Fox Sparrow 1 -
Song Sparrow 5 -
Lincoln's Sparrow 1 -
Swamp Sparrow 2 -
White-throated Sparrow 8 -
Dark-eyed Junco 19 -
Northern Cardinal 1 -
House Finch 1 -
American Goldfinch 66 -
House Sparrow 1 -

Total 124 (165 incl recaps), 17 species.
Lincoln's Sparrow, hatching year; a late individual
This photo just to give you an indication on the biting skills of Northern Cardinals!

And as it is my last night here, we are trying for owls! The results so far:
Mad Screech Owl because he got recaptured!
Heather with the cooperative Screech perched on her arm
Saw-whets like getting scratched as you can see!
The Saw-whet was even willing to sit on the head of this Filipino guy/

1 opmerking:

  1. Excellent photos!! The group shot is really nice; so cute scratching the Saw-whet's head (awww...); but, my favorite HAS to be Brandon with the NSOW-- he's actually smiling (Brandon, not the owl)!!!

    We'll miss you, Faab. Have a safe trip home!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen