donderdag 23 februari 2012

Quiet garden ringing

There haven't been any highlight in the garden's ringing sessions lately. I'm just ringing the normal fare of birds: House Sparrows, Greenfinches, Blue Tits, Great Tits and Blackbirds.

On 12-2 I ringed this odd male House Sparrow:
 Having a short outer secondary (symetric)
Having -to what seems to be- an old tertial (symmetric). I have no idea how to inteprete this old tertail. Would this make it an 2cy or a >2cy? Probably the latter since a juvenile tertail would be more rounder with a small brown edging (+ feather would be poorer condition) unlike the above.
I recaptured this adult female Blackbird today. When I ringed it on the 18th of January I didn't notice that this bird looked a bit odd (Bad ringer!). It was in the field, last week that I noticed the bird was a bit 'Ring Ouzel' like with the bib. It is ofcourse, just a Blackbird. It noticably had a decrease in weight as it first had a weight of 95.6, and today it only weighed 72.3 grams...
 Today's Greenfinch was a 2cy male.
Compare that 2cy to this bright >2cy male, from the 12th.
From the 2cy male Greenfinch of today: compare the juvenile tailfeathers with the adult tailfeathers.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten