maandag 28 maart 2011

2nd ringing session in the garden

Yesterday I decided to open up my net in the garden again in the afternoon, for the project. The rest of the weekend I was busy studying for my tests this week, so it felt good to do some ringing as some distraction.
I had the net opened from 12.30 till 18.45. I trapped a total of 8 birds. Not very much but I was satisfied with the birds I trapped.

House Sparrow 3
Greenfinch 2
Chaffinch 1
Dunnock 1
Blue Tit 1

No retraps yet. I trapped the first female House Sparrow, the 7 remaining were all males.

Males of House Sparrows are stunningly beautiful..
Dunnock
Adult Male Greenfinch
Same Male: note yellow alula and the grey edges on the primary coverts
Same bird again, now the tail
Chaffinch 2cy female
Note the difference in the tertials of the left and right wing.
Left wing: fresh, more ore less rufous coloured.
Right wing: abraded/worn tertails with a whitish edge.

Now back to the other study again...

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten