woensdag 26 oktober 2011

Mud is Slippy.

My alarmclock went off at 6.15 this morning. I woke up but fell asleep immediatly again.. to wake up again at 7.10.. Brandon was also still asleep and we were late.. We were supposed to be at the banding station at 7.00 haha. When we arrived 5 min later at the banding station we saw that the nets were closed: it was going to rain. So in fact we could have stayed in bed a little bit longer! While we were waiting for the rain to pass by (Brandon went back to bed) I selected a few photos for on the Powdermill website. Around 9.00 most of the rain had passed by and we could open, yay! There were a lot of birds around so we were excited to get the nets open. I made a couple of shots of the sunrise a few minutes before it started to rain around 7.40:
A 2 minute interval between both pictures, resulting in different colours! 

During one of the netrounds I walked back along the Crisp Pond and slipped and made a faceplant in the mud.. must have been pretty amusing for Heather who was walking just behind my back haha. I was carrying some birds with me but of course birds are my number one priority so I held them in the air in front of me, resulting in a pretty bad faceplant for me haha but the birds were ok! It is currently extemely wet and muddy, it's crazy! 
The result..

Despite the fact that we opened late we had a really good day. Few recaptures, lots of new ones! The kinglets moved in with 55 Ruby-crowneds and 21 Golden-crowned Kinglets banded today. We had two late warbler species today: 2 Magnolia Warblers and 1 Chestnut-sided Warbler!! We hadn't banded a Chestnut-sided for at least a month so that was a good surprise. Furthermore we broke the Yellow-rumped record for October!! 

Eastern Phoebe 2 -
Blue-headed Vireo 1 -
Black-capped Chickadee 1 -
Tufted Titmouse 1 -
House Wren 1 -
Winter Wren 3 -
Hermit Thrush 8 -
Cedar Waxwing 3 -
Nashville Warbler 1 -
Magnolia Warbler 2 -
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1 -
Yellow-rumped Warbler 18 - 
Fox Sparrow 2 -
Song Sparrow 13 -
Swamp Sparrow 6 -
White-throated Sparrow 13 -
Dark-eyed Junco 2 -
Indigo Bunting 1 -
House Finch 1 -
American Goldfinch 20 -

Total 176 (209 incl recaps) , 22 species

Cutie!
This adult male Chestnut-sided Warbler will get the ''Best looking Chestnut-sided of the fall'' Award!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten